Thursday, February 19, 2009

Jay Ho- Oscar Nomination.

'Have you heard Jay Ho? It's superb! Simply Superb!' A friend of mine was telling me. 'Do you want to listen it now?' 'Oh wait.... If it is so great then let me give justice to it and I will listen to it at my leisure.' I replied.

Since then I listened 'Jay Ho' repeatedly.... I liked other songs from Slumdog Millionaire than Jay Ho. Oh yes! May be I do not have ear for music! I was curios to know 'why Jay Ho is nominated to Oscar now?', 'there must be something which I am not able to understand.' And let's find it out.

I went on to Google to find out.... out of search results I read Shekhar Kapoor's article on his web page. To my surprise, he also has similar views for Jay Ho and in his openion A R Rahman has created far more better music in the past... he also has a point, 'we (Indians) shall not depend on West World's certification for any one's talent.' I totally agree to this thought. We,.... WE, are far better in many sectors than the West World..... why do we forget we have cultural base (sanskruti) since more than 1000 years. This West World do not have Cultural base and their history goes only for few hundred years.

We need to come out of Western Hype and have to project our own self to the world. Let's judge world's music and other things and let's issue awards and certificates from India! Why not? Are we not deserved? Are we not capable? Are we not united?..... United???... hmmm..... Just think!!

-Abhijit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched the entire Oscar ceremony and was seriously not impressed.I saw two Indians walk on to the stage and receive oscars for Danny's SM, but only the former who took the oscar for Cinematography actually uttered praise for the motherland and MR. Rehman had a list made out , unlike Golden Globe awards where he systematically thanked everybody,even remebered to speak in tamil but somehow forgot to utter his greatfullness to his motherland.

Mr.Rehman you have seriously disgusted me.

I hope you are faithful to at least something in life...

Anonymous said...

Touche! Its some sort of validation that people are constantly looking for. God knows why! I guess its also the case of - if you ask always place yourself in a position where you offer the other person a chance to intimidate you, or wait for an approval, then they are most often than not going to take it.

For e.g. I really like Anil Kapoor. I am not a Hindi movie fanatic but he comes across as a nice person, someone who isnt superficial and is thoroughly passionate. Still, when he was on many of the shows here, he said things like 'who knew I would be with you guys here talking about a movie' its only a dream, and something to the effect of feeling he is a newcomer because he is only NOW making his way in the Western movie world. This is Anil Kapoor, a almost household name in India!! I dont get it.

Another factor is the closed-mind mentality of the west that lives and thinks in a bubble and refuses (ok not generalizing completely), but refuses to venture beyond familiar waters. Did we need a Slumdog Millionaire for people to sit up and take notice? No. Not at all. If we as Indians want to have people know more about our land, then Indians livign abroad should accept the way of life, (we have to, to be successful), but dont give up on your race, and dont badger your hometown. Speak truthfully of what you know, your experience, and tell the trusth, dispel myths as some people are just truly ignorant and I mean So ignorant, they only need someone to get them to think otherwise. I have experienced this a lot. As they say education is the key, and I say in more aspects than one.

AbhiShilpa said...

Hello Ashi and Jai,
Read your comments. Ashi has some point to say, so do Jai. Jai, I found your language little complicated, however I got your message.
Yes, I frantically, at every moment raises flag in disapproval... whenever anyone here says something wrong (in my point of view) or has some wrong impression about our motherland. Particularly about medical treatment.... I am coming from a city and I have seen best of the world medical centres... when people here blindly blames our medical facilities, which is not correct totally (may be half truth) I have to stop them!!
Here in Canada, they do not have population like India. If anytime they reaches the density similar to Indian Cities... then they will understand how much better India is!

Well.. this is just in assertion with your comments!

This is a hot topic.... isn't it?
-Abhijit.