Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Shirdi

Today I met Adrian at lunch time in our cafeteria. Adrian was deputed to Mumbai-India for considerable time. While talking about India, Indian culture and people there.... he mentioned, he visited Shirdi too.

"SHIRDI" I literally shouted!!!! Are you sure you said Shirdi??? He nodded in assertion. I was stunned. (It was a surprise for me since Adrian is non-Indian.) He continued.... He had very different experience there.

Shirdi is a place of Saibaba (a god). He waited four hours in que outside temple to finally touch Saibaba's feet. I wondered at this point since 'foreigners' do have separate que (suppose to be short and fast) at Shirdi...... anyway......

He said, when he was leaving the temple the Pujari, preacher, stopped him..... touched his head and chanted something....... Adrian says he literally felt something is passing in his body..... the Pujari then presented a garland from Saibaba's feet and put it around his neck.

Believe me, Adrian continued, he was one of the very very few people there who were blessed with full garland.

He was accompanied with his driver, who is hardcore devotee of Saibaba, was surprised how I did not get the garland and how Adrian has got it.

Well..... that's the story.

No comments: